Sunday, January 23, 2011

New Year = New Project

For a while now, I have been contemplating what I could do to help others. I have had the pleasure of working on a couple of different fundraisers/charities over the past couple of years, and I have truly enjoyed it. I just wasn't sure what I wanted to do this year.

I finally had one of those "aha" moments yesterday.
I want to be a better person.
I want to help more people.
That idea was solidified in my mind today by a talk given at church. The talk was based on this talk given by Elder Christoffersen at General Conference a few months ago. A quote from the talk that answered any doubts of what I was to do:
"True success in this life comes in consecrating our lives - that is, our time and choices - to God's purposes."
Over the past few years, I have met so many wonderful and amazing people through volunteering my time for different causes. I want to continue helping others - I feel very passionate about it.
But, I always wonder if I can make a difference. Can one person really make a difference? That nagging question was also answered today at church. It was a powerful experience that showed me that the Lord is aware of each and everyone of us. He knows what we need, and if we pay attention and have an open heart, answers will come.

Over the last couple of weeks, I have felt a strong desire to help out in some way. I wasn't sure what, who, how or any of the details - I just knew I wanted to help.
Then last night, I realized the answer was right in front of me the whole time ....duh!!!
I have started to make preliminary plans and this week I hope they take shape.
I will post more details in the next few days.

No comments: