Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Importance of Rotating A 72-hour Kit

I made 72 hour kits back in 2002 for all three of us. I worked pretty hard to get them all put together and was pretty proud of my accomplishment. However, we have never looked in them since....which we found was a problem (DUH)!!! Kenneth brought his in to me the other day and wanted to see what was in his - this is what we found....
Size 6 pants - he now wears a size 14...

A really cool Scooby Doo T-shirt that is a size 3T (although it was more like a 5 or 6) and the black jacket that he managed to squeeze in to.


And the most interesting stuff - the food.....most of which expired in 2003. We opened up the Frosted Flakes - they were pretty stale, but I think if you were starving, they would get you buy. He tried a couple of things that I thought would probabaly not kill him, but he refused a second serving of anything he tried. From the assortment in the picture, I think that I will duplicate a lot of what I used last time. Mike and I both had more extensive food kits, which included a few canned soups and beans along with some peanut butter.

So, now I have my work cut out for me again, but this time I have a better plan that I heard a while ago. Every year during general conference, empty out your kits and have a picnic with the food you have.....this will help use the food before it goes bad and the kids will think it is a fun adventure! I still have all of the non-perishable items, we will just update the clothing and food and be ready to go.

No comments: