Sunday, February 10, 2008

Grandma D.

We had the opportunity to go to Salt Lake City this weekend for a quick vacation. While we were there, we stopped to see my Grandma Davis. She is 98 years old - she turns 99 on April 20th. She was having a good day and we were able to visit for a while. The following is a picture of Grandma, Kenneth, and me.

Grandma was telling us stories of how she played the saxaphone in a band. She had me go dig the saxaphone out of the closet so that we could see it. Even though it is a little tarnished, it is still a beatiful instrument. She told us that when she finally turned 16, she was old enough to join the union and play in a band. This would have been in 1925. She played with the same band for 8 years. She is very musically talented. In the background, you can see the organ that she taught me to play when I was a teenager. She was thrilled to hear that I am now playing the organ for my church ward. Of course, she had me play for her while we were there. Kenneth also played the piano for her. I think that I got part of my love for music from her.
Grandma also played the clarinet during her younger years. She said that it had a broken piece, so we didn't take it out of the case.

No comments: