Sunday, March 1, 2009

Sunday Thoughts

I love 1:00 church!! I know that sounds weird, but I have really enjoyed it this year. I am able to take my time in the morning and not feel rushed. Today I enjoyed a lazy morning of laying in bed and reading articles from the March Ensign. I don't subscribe to the magazine for two reasons - first, I can read it all online for free and second, I am not using additional paper products that I don't know what to do with after a few years - should I hoard it or get rid of it???
As I was reading I came across this article from Elder M. Russell Ballard on becoming self -reliant. It is a good reminder that we need to prepare physically, but also spiritually. I think the reason it stood out to me is at our Ward Conference a few weeks ago, our bishop spoke on this same topic. Perhaps that means I should pay special attention to the topic. I know that at our house, we focus on the temporal preparations a lot - like getting our food storage in order, water storage, 72-hour kits. That is all great, but we need to focus more time and energy on preparing ourselves spiritually.
Elder Ballard divides this topic into five different areas.
1. Find Answers Through the Spirit
2. Appraise our Lives and the Needs of Others
3. Choose Between Good and Evil
4. Think Straight
5. Seek the Lord's Guidance
There are also some good suggestions to use for a family home evening lesson. I found this article to be a great reminder that we need balance in all things in our lives.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just forgot to renew my Ensign subscription and now I'm not going to bother, I'm just going to read it for free. Thanks for reminding me about that, how could I forget!